Sunday, February 19, 2012

Today's Sunshine

Another step backwards. I decided I wanted to back up in training and get a really good base position. And this time, I was going to shape it and work on a platform...

So, this morning I introduced Monster to a box on the floor, and stood by with clicker and treats at the ready. In the first training session he eventually laid down and sighed in confused frustration, never having even gotten close to the box. Now, I'm not good at shaping, so I cheated (I think?) and tried to make the box interesting, pushing it around and playing with it before our next training session. By this evening, Monster now steps up onto the box and moves his back paws around!

Yeah, it's not actually a base position (or even close), and I'm pretty sure he hasn't twigged to the fact that moving his back paws (as opposed to trying everything) is the point, but I still love it. It was a lot of fun, and I think we got pretty far in one day. Monster also seems to have enjoyed it.

(Didn't get any photos, since I was too busy being an awesome trainer and all, but Monster's so pretty it doesn't matter if the picture has anything to do with the post!)



You know that's true.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, it's free!

Comments are moderated in order to weed out spam, pointlessness, and shocking behavior quite beyond the pale! They're not moderated to make me look good, though - you have my gracious permission to call me an idiot.