Saturday, March 17, 2012

Whooops!

I've completely forgotten about the daily resolutions! Shame on me...

Well, no time like the present, I suppose. Although, I think I'm going to change the concept a little. I think I'll try making a weekly resolution to work on a specific trick (or issue), at least part of it, each day that week. It feels like a better way forward in training, not just a way to make sure I actually put in some effort every day.

So, let's see, today's a Saturday. But if I put it off until the start of next week I'm just going to forget about it again, so it starts now: The coming week I'm going to train "retrieve" with Monster. Currently, Monster will retrieve high value items (ball, tug toy, etc) and bring them to me, but then he'll often either try to start a tug with it or run past me and try to start a chase. With low value items (paper, shoe, etc) he'll run off and mark it, but sometimes not even pick it up and often pick it up but not carry it all the way back to me (he'll spit it out halfway and come trotting in for a reward). High or low value, he'll hardly ever give a solid retrieve all the way to my hand...

So, that's where we'll start. Just picking things up and handing them over. Actually, we'll probably start with taking things from my hand and then immediately putting them back. Goal is fetching and retrieving any thrown or placed item, bringing it in to sitting position, and giving the item into my hand. Yeah, I realize we won't get there in a week, but that is the desired end result and it's what we'll be working toward this week - but not pushing toward regardless of what's realistic in the moment!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, it's free!

Comments are moderated in order to weed out spam, pointlessness, and shocking behavior quite beyond the pale! They're not moderated to make me look good, though - you have my gracious permission to call me an idiot.