Friday, March 9, 2012

Today's Sunshine

So. This has nothing to do with Monster, or even with me. But I think it's wonderful, and I make (and break) the blog rules, so there.

Crufts shows some sanity!
And then does it again!

While it's tragic these dogs are so unhealthy, it's an amazing development that they won't be rewarded for it anymore. There is sure to be wailing and complaining from a whole host of outraged breeders (in fact it's already started), but I personally have never understood how breeders who deliberately breed for exaggerations that cause dogs physical (and mental) discomfort - not to mention outright suffering - aren't guilty of animal abuse. It's a mystery to me. If a vet can look at a dog and say it's actually suffering, and this is a situation the dog's breeder has deliberately put the dog in, how is this not covered by the laws that protect animals?

But apparently that's not how it works, so we have to fix the situation some other way. Namely, stop rewarding bad behavior and start rewarding the good instead! So, this is the first step in the extinction of an unwanted behavior. And now, let's sit back and watch the extinction burst...

Those poor dogs, though. Not so many decades ago the Neapolitan Mastiff
There is a dog in there. Somewhere...

looked a lot more like the Cane Corso


Duuuuude... What happened to you!?


It's a fucking tragedy, and I won't apologize for my language in this case.

Let's all just hope The Kennel Club doesn't back down again once they realize how many dogs will have to be excluded (but surely they already knew). And that it's not a temporary PR stunt and the madness will return to "normal" once they feel people aren't looking anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, it's free!

Comments are moderated in order to weed out spam, pointlessness, and shocking behavior quite beyond the pale! They're not moderated to make me look good, though - you have my gracious permission to call me an idiot.