Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Today's Sunshine

Lately I've started walking Monster on the tracking line. It's about 50 feet long, and made of a thin rope (like a flagpole rope) with a plastic coating. This makes it light, and it doesn't snag easily.

Using this for a leash, Monster gets quite a bit more freedom on our walks. I think I've been hesitating using it in the past because I've been subconsciously thinking that the whole off leash thing would all resolve itself tomorrow. Of course, that's not true. Even if Monster's issues suddenly disappear overnight, training a dog to be manageable off leash takes time and hard work. Meaning, Monster will be stuck on a leash for a long time - even if he gets to the point where off leash is a reasonable goal.

Therefore, the tracking line has become our leash. It gives him a chance to move about more freely.

Mmmmmm, nice...

I think it's also helping with his willingness to offer eye contact. Now he seems to be checking in with me a bit more, even when he's off exploring.

What's up, Mom?

It also gives us a great opportunity to practice recall away from home.

Woooohoooo! I'm coming, Mom!

I also think it's good for him to be able to explore a bit more independently. You never know, it might help his confidence...

Whoah! What's that?

All in all, I'm really happy I made this change. Occasionally I get a little twinge of guilt because I didn't do it sooner... But realistically, I couldn't do it before. That line is well and good when we're out on a nice walk. If he's pulling, holding it hurts like fire. If he were to go full on aggressive, it would injure my hands. I'd still hold him, of course, but it would be more than just a little painful. These days I no longer expect at least one full Monster breakdown every time we set foot outside. In fact, I'm pretty confident that even with a surprise encounter there won't be much more than some pulling and tensions, as opposed to lunging and trying to tear free.

He wears the regular leash as we're leaving and entering the village, and I change over once we're out in the open. I'm not an idiot.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, it's free!

Comments are moderated in order to weed out spam, pointlessness, and shocking behavior quite beyond the pale! They're not moderated to make me look good, though - you have my gracious permission to call me an idiot.