Saturday, March 31, 2012

Today's Cloud

On a walk today I had Monster on the long line. We were walking on a path with great visibility, open farmland to one side and a stream to the other. But all of a sudden two guys popped up right in front of Monster. They seemed to have been hiding behind a bush by the water, perhaps they were fishing I don't know. They were wearing hats and sunglasses, Monster was about 50 feet ahead of me and they were about 8-10 feet ahead of Monster. I immediately called Monster, but I also tightened the line since they were so very close - and moving toward us. Monster did take a few steps in my direction, but he couldn't handle that they were following him on top of the surprise and everything so he turned around, planted his feet wide and began warning them off.

I'm big and mean, don't come any closer!

They just ignored him and kept coming! I had to reel Monster toward me, while also trying to move off the path into the muddy field. I eventually managed to get him away, so he was about 2 feet to the side of the path, lunging and roaring. The guys calmly walked past, said hello to me, and moved on. Monster was literally frothing, rearing up right beside them as they walked by...

I know the biggest fault here lies with me (of course). If I hadn't tightened the line and tried to pull Monster in by force he'd probably never have reacted as badly. But it's not like I want to take a chance with a couple of strangers either.

Bad day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, it's free!

Comments are moderated in order to weed out spam, pointlessness, and shocking behavior quite beyond the pale! They're not moderated to make me look good, though - you have my gracious permission to call me an idiot.