Monday, June 4, 2012

Today's Cloud

Today I tried to go for a little longer walk than usual. Walking Monster is a big affair, it takes planning and constant vigilance.

Today I simply felt like going a little outside the box, but once we were home again I realized it didn't feel good at all - it just drove home how uncomfortable I am here.

Look at that view...


This wide open farming landscape feels like a prison. Sure, you can see for miles and miles... But you can go nowhere. There are straight roads and straight paths, and everyone and everything has to cram into them, walking, running, biking and driving along the same narrow stretch of world. You want to go for a walk, you walk west or you walk east. Walk far enough, you can also choose between north and south.

A different place...

Looking out the window of my house, I can see my sister's house. She lives about 6 miles away. This isn't open and free to me, it's claustrophobic. Back "home" you can go wherever you want. Step off the lawn into the rest of the world. Pick a direction and walk for days.

Where should we go today...

On a two and a half hour walk today, I walked past one village and through three more (not counting our own village), first going due east, then changing to a parallel road and going due west. After careful consideration, I can say I genuinely hate this.

Monster's issues makes this more apparent, but it would still be true even if he was fine meeting people, dogs, and whatever else on narrow and cramped roads. How can people stand this?

How can I stand this?

Don't worry Mom, I'm here.

Thank Dog for that. Without Monster I would very literally go crazy...

Well... Crazier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, it's free!

Comments are moderated in order to weed out spam, pointlessness, and shocking behavior quite beyond the pale! They're not moderated to make me look good, though - you have my gracious permission to call me an idiot.