Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Today's Sunshine

Not entirely sure if this is actually good, but at least I think it's interesting. Out walking today we again spotted Monster's new friends. Instead of his usual aggressive behavior towards strange dogs, and - more interestingly - instead of his usual playful, tail wagging, almost begging greeting towards old friends, he began stalking them. He moved like a lion spotting prey, lowering his body so his shoulders became sharp points and moving very smoothly towards them. At one point, about 40-50 feet off, he lay down in the grass. He's never shown this behavior before, and I was fascinated. I have heard trainers warning others against this behavior in aggressive dogs, so I was a bit apprehensive. But curiosity won out, and I allowed him to do as he wished (while keeping an eye out for any of the usual warning signs).

In the end, when we reached them he happily jumped up at them, paws spread out in front of him like he was catching a large ball, and then greeted them normally. I think he was playing them some sort of practical joke, kind of "Ta-daaaah!"...

I wouldn't be without this dog for anything in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, it's free!

Comments are moderated in order to weed out spam, pointlessness, and shocking behavior quite beyond the pale! They're not moderated to make me look good, though - you have my gracious permission to call me an idiot.