Monday, January 9, 2012

Today's Cloud

Today I got caught in a speed trap. Well, that sucks for me (Seriously, that mistake is expensive! Well, I guess it should be, I just don't know how I'm going to afford food for the next few months...), but it doesn't really belong on this blog. Except, the man in the car behind me as we were getting ticketed had a very bad reaction to the situation. He started screaming at the female police officer dealing with him, and tried to get out of the car. As she kept his door closed, he busted out on the other side, rounded his car and got up in her face, screaming and waving his arms around. Another (female) police officer came to help out, and he got even worse. Monster was in a crate in the back of my car, so he was closest to the situation. When the man first started to behave aggressively to the police, Monster began growling and barking, but when the second officer arrived and it escalated to some shoving (and incoherent ranting), Monster went berserk. I thought he would bust out of the crate (and then the car), the whole car was rocking from his rage. I was honestly concerned the cage wouldn't hold him.

Monster has some issues with loud men (courtesy of my father, who just won't listen), and he can become quite protective of others if he considers a man threatening. I'm sure this man was having a very bad day, and for whatever reason he felt himself justified to behave in this way. And I'm sure we didn't matter to him at all. But I couldn't help it, all through his tantrum (which we never saw the end to, when we left he was surrounded by five or six police officers, still screaming), the only thing on my mind was "Would you please stop! Can't you see you're upsetting the dog!? And god knows, we sure don't need any more issues to work through!"

Which is ridiculous. Why would this man (who wasn't really rational, even) consider how he affected my dog. Clearly he had other things on his mind (or possibly no mind whatsoever), and most people don't really bother with how their behavior affects strange dogs even when they have nothing else to focus on. But still. Even though I realize the others involved have a lot more to take issue with (both the man himself and the police officers), I still wonder.

Why? Was that really necessary? Really? Did you have to add another couple of degrees to our uphill battle? Would it hurt you to be a little more considerate of your surroundings?

And then I remember that The Kid was in the car too, and certainly didn't need to see that either...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, it's free!

Comments are moderated in order to weed out spam, pointlessness, and shocking behavior quite beyond the pale! They're not moderated to make me look good, though - you have my gracious permission to call me an idiot.