Monday, January 9, 2012

Today's Sunshine

Today Monster and I had my nephew over to visit all day. Monster  loooves him, and becomes ecstatic every time they meet. Today, he did however calm down amazingly fast.

Later, I sent The Kid out in the bushes to lay a track for Monster. This was very exciting, because it was the first time I've set Monster on the trail of someone other than myself (usually, I drive off a distance, get out of the car and lay a trail, go back home, wait an hour or two, and take Monster for a walk over to the tracking area). Monster grasped the task immediately (I'd let the trail cool for just an hour, making it a little easier), and set off. He did the track work very well, however he still went off track a couple of times. I hadn't considered that not only was the scent different (since it wasn't mine), but also the distractions. If The Kid made a single sound, Monster would get distracted, looking back and wanting to be a part of whatever was going on. Still, he also really loves tracking, and returned to the task very quickly without encouragement.

We'd laid a trail of about 400 feet, through forest and bush, so not very advanced. But still fun! And as usual, Monster overshot the trail ending (where The Kid had kicked up a big fuss and left a favorite toy and some treats), sticking to the trail as it left the woods and returned to the road. I still haven't figured out a strong enough reward to mark the end; toys, treats, praise, play and distraction does not work. He'll accept it, quite happily, if I don't allow him to continue on without it, but he'll stick his nose right back down again as soon as he gets a chance. I'm going to have to find some advice on this...

And then we walked back home, and Monster conked out on the floor in front of the wood-burning stove and started snoring. There's nothing that can beat that sound of contentment.

What!? The floor gets hard after a while!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, it's free!

Comments are moderated in order to weed out spam, pointlessness, and shocking behavior quite beyond the pale! They're not moderated to make me look good, though - you have my gracious permission to call me an idiot.