Friday, December 23, 2011

Today's Sunshine

No fights today! A couple of close calls, but it was possible to get them to back down again.

Mostly I've been focusing on heading it off before it happens, which means I manage how they leave and enter the house (if Dobie is in the house he has to go lie down and stay before I open the door and allow Monster inside, if it's the other way around I have to keep Monster with me in a sit and stay - because he doesn't have as reliable a stay as Dobie, and he's too scared to lie down when Dobie approaches - and give Dobie something to do as soon as he enters the house). They are never allowed outdoors together. When I leave the house I have to leave them together (simply because I tried putting them apart, but they both broke out of their rooms), and when I come back (which is when their tension becomes very dangerous) I immediately send one dog out of the house. (They seem fine to be alone together, they are unharmed - there's not even any drool on either of them - and nothing is out of place in the house. If two 100 pound dogs fight, furniture tends to go flying...) After a nap, at meal time, etc, I keep close watch and if things start to go wrong I first try to divert their attention, and if it doesn't work I send one of them outside. Right now they're sleeping together under a table, Monster's head on Dobie's leg...

No more, I suppose...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, it's free!

Comments are moderated in order to weed out spam, pointlessness, and shocking behavior quite beyond the pale! They're not moderated to make me look good, though - you have my gracious permission to call me an idiot.