Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Today's Cloud

Today Monster and Dobie have become rather aggressive towards each other. My parents have a dog as well, a nice young lady they both know and like.

Of course they like me, I'm adorable!

But the power dynamics appear to have shifted - probably because Monster is older now compared to last time they were up here together. Dobie is trying to bully Monster away from their girlfriend (and shoes, people, chairs, toys, etc), which Monster usually (as late as yesterday, when we were still in my home) allows. He'll back away and let me deal with it. But no more. When Dobie tells Monster off, Monster answers. And once Monster's growled back, Dobie won't let it go. I can still call Monster away at this point, and he'll turn away, tail wagging, completely forgetting about the whole macho thing. But when he does, Dobie apparently sees his chance and follows to finish it.

I realize (or at least I believe?) Monster isn't really doing anything wrong. He shouldn't have to put up with bullying. But these posts aren't just about what I or Monster are doing wrong, but also about what's going wrong. And this is not helpful in teaching Monster to relate well to other dogs...

I was looking forward to this time, seeing it as a good opportunity. Now, I'm more worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, it's free!

Comments are moderated in order to weed out spam, pointlessness, and shocking behavior quite beyond the pale! They're not moderated to make me look good, though - you have my gracious permission to call me an idiot.