Monday, December 26, 2011

Today's Cloud

There have been a lot of people coming and going today, and Monster handled most of it pretty well. When some fairly small children turned up I tried to shut Monster in our bedroom (both so he wouldn't frighten them and so he wouldn't accidentally knock them over), but he wasn't having that and kept opening the door. So I had him beside me and he behaved well. But when they were leaving he must have become frustrated he hadn't been allowed to play (he's fascinated with children to the point of almost fixating on them), so he started barking and jumping.

I won't say it doesn't matter that his behavior wasn't aggressive, of course I'd be a lot more upset if he started aggressing towards children, but bad behavior is still bad behavior and I can't ignore everything just because his aggressive behaviors are worse. I fear I often focus too much on "fixing" that particular problem, somehow subconsciously thinking that once that is gone Monster will be perfect. But dogs without Monster's issues still need lots of training, and naturally so does Monster. I need to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, it's free!

Comments are moderated in order to weed out spam, pointlessness, and shocking behavior quite beyond the pale! They're not moderated to make me look good, though - you have my gracious permission to call me an idiot.