Thursday, January 31, 2013

Brilliant Idea!

Well... At least today, I remember what I did! Kind of hard to forget, what with all the bleeding.

Oh, boohoo. Suck it up, wimp.



You see, today is very windy. I love strong winds, they make me happy and energized. My sleep deprived state notwithstanding, it had that same effect today. So Monster and I went for a wonderful walk, enjoying the weather and my good mood. Trees were bending, dry grass was rustling, and dead leaves were blowing around us. And that was the problem. Because as we were almost home again, two leaves came rolling down the road toward us, and struck with the funniest idea ever!!!  I pointed to them as they got close and told Monster (who was a leash length ahead of me) to "get them!" He looked at me for a split second with this "What, really?" look on his face - during which time the leaves drew level with him, and then blew past us both continuing down the road behind me - and then he went for them...

Well? You told me to!

The fact that he was a leash length ahead of me while the leaves were behind me meant he got a very good starting distance before my leash put up any resistance, and also that I got completely spun around. And pulled off my feet. And dragged along the asphalt. My hand slipped out of the leash handle, and I lay there stunned on the road watching Monster run and bounce down the road chasing the leaves - as indeed I had told him to do... It took me a couple of seconds to realize the problem we were in (traffic!), and then I panicked so badly my throat nearly closed up. But I did manage to try to recall him, fairly certain that it would be useless with him so excited, in full chase, and by then pretty far away. But when I called he stopped instantly, turned around and (with a quick glance back at the escaping leaves) came running back to me! He's such a good boy!

Yes I am, and don't you forget it.

So. All's well that ends well, right? Right. Apart from me looking like I did back when I got roller skates for my tenth birthday and decided to try them out on a hill along a gravel road. Road rash, I believe the term is? It feels great, let me tell you...

Don't feel sorry for her, she's making me do all the work now!



Still, it could have gone so much worse. There may be something to the claims that insomnia causes impaired judgment, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, it's free!

Comments are moderated in order to weed out spam, pointlessness, and shocking behavior quite beyond the pale! They're not moderated to make me look good, though - you have my gracious permission to call me an idiot.