Saturday, January 25, 2014

Saturday Of Shame

Miserable day! I've been tired, cold and grumpy ever since I woke up - and I'm never cold when I sleep, I always wake up with practically a fever. Sure it's cold outside, but it's not cold-cold (five-six degrees below zero today, Celsius. I can remember going for firewood in a T-shirt and sandals in well below -30 back home). And it's not very warm indoors either, but 12-15 degrees is normal in this house and no reason to sit shivering under a mountain of blankets... I'd blame it on being sick if I could, but there's nothing wrong with me besides being tired and frozen. If I was more active I wouldn't be so cold!

Enough excuses. This has been our day:
  • Walks:   2h. While I accept we generally walk less on weekends (a lot more people and dogs around, keeping unpredictable hours and routes, means a lot more triggers for us), this is not enough. Especially since everything else is slipping too.
  • Exercise:   10-15 minutes... We did cavaletti for a while - which is less exercise and more training still, since Monster doesn't want to/understand how to walk it properly. He happily steps correctly with his front legs, but the hind legs (which is what I really want to focus the exercise on!) are all over the place, often entirely outside the cavaletti as he happily diagonals through it... His hind leg awareness has always been a serious weak spot, so I'm not sure if he just doesn't understand or if the exercise is uncomfortable for him and he doesn't want to strain his hind legs? Maybe I need to build some kind of chute for it? Yeah, like that's going to happen... I'd also meant to do some balance and strength exercises on the ball, elephant and mattress (all inflatables) but never got around to it.
  • Training:   ~30min. Working on the "hands up - play dead" trick for about 20min. Not getting very far, and I think my bad mood made Monster feel uncertain and low in the training. We may have moved backwards... Also did about 10min of nosework, same setup as yesterday. (I meant to do it outside, but it was so cold I couldn't face it.)
  • Planning/preparation:   0. Thought about it. Didn't actually do any. 
  • Other:   0. Nada.
Raise your hand if you're bored and depressed!


So. Not a good day, you could say. I wish recognizing the problem would also lead to fixing it, but it doesn't. I'm not particularly optimistic that tomorrow will be any better. And I shouldn't even think about it in terms of "hope"! It's something I do or don't do, not something that just happens. But again, understanding that isn't the same as changing it...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, it's free!

Comments are moderated in order to weed out spam, pointlessness, and shocking behavior quite beyond the pale! They're not moderated to make me look good, though - you have my gracious permission to call me an idiot.