Friday, April 12, 2013

Belated Good News

I've suddenly realized that while I've been good with sharing complaints, I missed telling you the good stuff! So here's a little update. A week ago I went back to the hospital, where they found my cast had been done at wrong angles. I was given a new cast, and suddenly I could walk without pain! Looking back at it now, I can't believe how much pain I was actually in - but I thought it was normal (a broken leg should hurt, right?) so I just gritted my teeth and tried to bear it. Note to everyone: if you're in so much pain you're soaked in sweat, every time you put weight on your foot after resting for a while you think your leg is actually on fire, if it hurts so bad you seriously start examining the cast to see if you're bleeding under there, and if you find yourself fighting back panic wave after panic wave because you just can't stand it any more but you have no way out - all of this while on codeine - chances are there's actually something wrong. It's not supposed to feel like that - who knew!? So, as I said I was given a new cast, and half an hour later I walked out of there with just a slight limp... Such a relief! And I've stayed away from the painkillers since then (normal pain I can deal with, it turns out), as well as increased the distance I walk Monster.

What? We have? How much? Huh...


I still need to stay on hard surface roads, and walking up or down hills is ridiculously difficult, but it is a great improvement! Unfortunately this cast has a couple of weird little bumps inside it, under the foot, which are starting to press and chafe quite a bit. But I'm not complaining, it's still a 1000 times better than the last one. But I am still quite limited, and therefore quite bored. Among the many, many, many incredibly interesting, rewarding and self improving pursuits I've found (like figuring out (one of) the reason(s) I can't take Jonny Lee Miller seriously as Sherlock in Elementary - in the back of my mind there was something chafing, and it turns out it was his portrayal of Mr Knightley in BBC's 2009 adaptation of Austen's Emma: I hadn't realized/processed that it was the same actor until I rewatched it now. Phew, checked that off my list! Also, did you know this season of Survivor is really interesting!? Yeah, I've been busy...) *reeling it back to before the parenthesis* is exploring youtube. I'm bad at it. No matter what I search for, I get the most bizarre results. And when I try to watch something which sounds interesting, it mostly turns out to be weird, boring and/or bad... But on occasion (and completely by accident) even I can find something to watch, and here's a charming, simple little video I wish everyone would watch:



"What your dog is desperately trying to tell you" may be overly simple in some ways, but it's necessary - for a lot of people this information is a mystery - and this video is helpful, charming and easily accessible. I wish people who have no interest in dogs would watch it too. Dogs are in our society whether everyone wants it or not, and they are trying to communicate. The least people could do - if for nothing else, at least for their own sakes - is learn half a dozen "words"... Especially the photo of a baby hugging a dog should be everywhere!

And if more people could learn to understand/be aware of just these basics, they would realize what they're actually seeing when they're tuning in to the ever so "entertaining" Cesar Millan...

And since this is my blog, and I don't have to abide by my rules unless I want to, here's another little gem that has nothing whatsoever to do with dogs:





This is impressive to me: the guy has talent but loads of people have talent, what's great about him is that he's being original and using what he's been given (and worked hard for as well, if I'm any judge) to comment and criticize rather than the empty copies and echoes most people produce. You should watch it, if you haven't already (you probably have, I did see I wasn't exactly first to "discover" him - but you never know, there may be others out there as youtube ignorant as me). After Ever After made my day at least, so thanks for that, er... Paint?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, it's free!

Comments are moderated in order to weed out spam, pointlessness, and shocking behavior quite beyond the pale! They're not moderated to make me look good, though - you have my gracious permission to call me an idiot.